There are plenty of sources of advice when you are buying property … not all of it good or useful … it is most important to be aware that purchasing property is a major commitment, and you should get all the advice you need from professionals who are properly authorised and qualified to give that advice.
The key advisor will be your solicitor or conveyancer. They will usually advise you about what other professional advice may be necessary from: an accountant and tax advisor; a surveyor; a building and/or pest inspector; an engineer; a financial advisor or broker; etc. As your real estate agent we will assist you with your decision to purchase, and we will provide you with our carefully considered opinions and advice within the limits of our expertise, but, we are not experts in all matters to be considered, and you should rely only on the advice of relevant properly qualified experts.
BEFORE FINALLY MAKING A COMMITMENT TO PURCHASE, CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING GENERAL ADVICE ABOUT HOW TO GET TO THE DECISION YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH…
- Ensure you have your finance pre-approved with a clear spending budget. If you are not sure, seek advice from an appropriate finance professional (accountant, broker, financial advisor). Don’t forget the other costs: stamp duty, legal and finance fees, repair costs etc.
- Work out the locations that suit your needs and lifestyle: get general information and drive around and look at those neighbourhoods. If you are looking to buy to then rent the property out, consider carefully the criteria that a tenant will consider when choosing the property: convenience and ease of maintenance are keys as well as schools, shops and transport.
- Research sales in those preferred locations. Inspect as many properties for sale in that area as practical to give you a feel for value. Attend open homes in the area if you can.
- Develop a relationship with our professional sales team. Your North Estate Agents Sales Consultants will be able to advise you of any additional information.You can register on our website to automatically receive notification of any new listings that hit the market.
- When you find a property that you think suits your requirements and investigate carefully. If you are planning to rent the property, our professional Property Management team will assist you with a rental appraisal and get an opinion on renting feasibility.
- If you are considering making an offer, your North Estate Agents Property Consultant will guide you if you are unsure of the process.
- Your solicitor/conveyancer can arrange a building and pest inspection to make sure you are aware of any possible major defects.
- Follow your solicitors or conveyancer’s advice on the sale contract and take into consideration the expert building reports.
- Once negotiations have been finalised, you will sign the sale contract and pay a 10% or negotiated deposit. On settlement day it is advisable that you do a final inspection before settlement takes place, this is to ensure that the property is in the same condition as when you last inspected it, and that all inclusions are as per the contract you signed.